Well, I have the flu. Cough, runny nose, sore throat … the whole gang’s here. Yay? So, for today’s post I thought I’d do something timely and share with you my aunt’s recipe for a vegetable soup that is as hearty as it is healthy. Without further ado …
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium carrots – peeled and diced
- 1 sweet yellow onion – diced
- 4 cloves of garlic – rough chopped
- 1 head of green cabbage – chopped into thin slices
- 4 shiitake mushrooms – sliced thin, lengthwise
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- a handful of dill – rough chopped
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter and heat up the olive oil.
- Add the carrots and onions, keeping the heat on medium. Allow to cook until the onions turn translucent and the carrots get slightly charred around their edges.
- Add the garlic. Stir until you can smell the garlic aroma then …
- Add the cabbage and stir to combine. At the same time, sautée the mushrooms in a separate pan until golden brown.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add them to the soup pot.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and turn up the heat on your stove to allow the soup to boil.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, turn down the burner to simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 30 minutes then enjoy!
Ah, there’s nothing like hot, homemade vegetable soup to cure a nasty cold. Trust me, you’ll be feeling better in no time!