COVID-19 Small Biz Studio
WELCOME TO THE SMALL BIZ STUDIO
YOUR FREE RESOURCE FOR ALL THINGS SMALL BUSINESS TO HELP YOU NAVIGATE THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF COVID-19
This is an ongoing project that will be updated daily, so expect it to get more legit and comprehensive. Check back often for updates! We are just getting started …
Press Guide: Click HERE to download the little word studio Press Guide, outlining how to craft your story, how to release your news, how to pitch your story and how to track press coverage.
Lead Generation Guide: Click HERE to download the little word studio Lead Generation Guide, covering actionable strategies you can take right now to go from sales stagnation to sustainable success.
Email Guide: Click HERE to download the little word studio Email Guide, which is all about how to send marketing emails, what to write in those emails to be sensitive to COVID-19 challenges, how to craft a winning subject line and more.
Social Media Content Guide: Click HERE to download the little word studio Social Media Content Guide, detailing copywriting best practices, proper messaging during COVID-19 and some ideas to bring positivity and light to your social media marketing efforts.
Additional Reading + Resources
From Hello Alice, a free platform to help businesses launch and grow:
- COVID-19 Business Resource Center – click HERE for resources to:
- Apply for an Emergency Grant
- Review Financial Aid Options
- Apply for an SBA Disaster Loan
- … and more.
From Trip Outside:
From the little word studio blog archives:
- Small Business Survival Strategies in the Days of COVID-19
- Five Ways to Proactively Prepare Your Business for Coronavirus
- An Overview of How Small Businesses Can Help
- How to Consistently Write Content for Your Small Business Blog
- How to Create Website Content for Local Search Results
- YouTube and Video Marketing Tips for Small Businesses
- Ways to Reach Your Audience During Covid-19
- Combining Abandoned Cart Messaging and Product Recommendations
- Turn Window Shoppers into Customers with Product Retargeting Emails
- Increase Conversion Rate from Ads to Landing Page
From elsewhere on the interwebs:
- Influencer Marketing and COVID-19
- The Heart of Resilient Leadership: A Guide by Deloitte to COVID-19 Response
- Leading through Uncertainty by Gino Blefari, CEO of HomeServices of America
- A No-Nonsense Review of Best Practices for those Newly Working from Home
- U.S. Small Business Administration’s Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Staying Connected with Customers Through COVID-19
- U.S. Small Business Administration’s Small Business Loan Resources
- Latest on Coronavirus from NFIB
From bookstores worldwide, inspiring reads:
- “Atomic Habits” by James Clear
- “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo
- “The Dichotomy of Leadership” by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- “Emotional Fitness” by Corey Corpodian
- Small business resources from the Female Founder Collective. Click HERE to download.
- Remote resources from the Female Founder Collective. Click HERE to download.
- Social media templates from the Female Founder Collective to support other small businesses in your story and feed. Click HERE to download.
If you’d like to see your business listed here, please email email@example.com with a brief description of your business and the URL you’d like us to use along with any promotional deals (if any) you are currently running.
- Earnnest: For real estate agents, this 100% digital tool allows you to transfer earnest money without the use of paper checks or any in-person interaction. The app is free to use for an agent, free for an escrow holder/title company/title attorney and now through April 17, Earnnest is free for homebuyers, too. Sign up HERE.
- Fork & Melon: This hand soap is free of sulfates, parabens, and synthetic fragrance, and it’s full of healthy, moisturizing ingredients that won’t dry out your hands from frequent washing. It is also a female-founded business. For orders $35 and up: Save 19% off all hand soap orders, plus get free shipping. Use code HEALTHISWEALTH at checkout. For all orders under $35: Get free shipping on any order, no minimum purchase required. Use code STAYHEALTHY at checkout. Shop HERE.
WELLNESS & BEAUTY
- Ritual: This female-founded women’s vitamin brand (shout out to Kat Schneider for inspiring us all) is donating three months of free vitamins for healthcare providers on the frontlines of the COVID-19 crisis. But whether you’re a medical professional or a momma looking to stay healthy, Ritual offers a re-imagined and clean vitamin for women. Sign up to receive the vitamins here.
- Jiyubox: Discover clean beauty with this female-founded brand named after the Japanese word for “freedom.” For a limited time, the Self Care Essentials Box (includes organic soap, bath bombs, coconut body oil and hand and food repair cream) is 20% off with free shipping using code SPRINGFLING at checkout. Shop the company’s feed at @jiyubox.
- Contour Creative: Hand-stamped, adventure-inspired apparel. Free shipping for orders over $65! View the collections, including tops, pants, kids clothes, accessories and gift cards HERE.
- Pedro De La Cruz: This Santa Barbara-based artist and owner of the Night Owl Studio is as prolific as he is creative. Pedro’s unique aesthetic shows his mastery with shapes and colors. Check out the features pieces on sale in his Etsy shop.
- Entertainment Industry Response: A collective of entertainment professionals based in Southern California providing resources, supplies and crew to local governments to aid local governments and the medical community in the fight against COVID-19. Learn more at www.EIR.team.
- Gallagher Staging: Local (and world-class) staging company Gallagher Staging has shifted operations to supply at-cost relief structures nationwide. Paying only labor and trucking fees, recipients will receive high-quality equipment for the lowest possible price. Despite most large-scale events coming to a sudden halt, Gallagher Staging CEO Joey Gallagher and his team, which had been tapped for the second year in a row to construct the main stage at Coachella, are now committed to delivering at-cost solutions to benefit a medical community in need of the company’s unique support. The team has set up a digital crisis center on its website – www.gallagherstaging.com/COVID19 – that is updated daily with new services, systems and products.
- Woof Out West: A West Coast lifestyle dog brand from Encinitas, Calif. that is now using its resources to manufacture medical masks. Visit the company’s new Esty Store – Pacific Coast Vibes – to order masks. There is a two-day delivery delay on all mask orders. Inquire within for additional shipping/production questions.
Because what would this list be without some stores and shops to support around town?
- The Alley: Limited menu and to-go cocktails from a Balboa Peninsula local favorite. Several dishes are available for curbside pick-up with call aheads. Get in touch and ask what’s available by dialing (949) 646-9126.
- American Legion Newport Harbor Post 921: Newport Harbor Post 291 of the American Legion is one of the largest American Legion Posts in the United States and is the only Post with its own Yacht Club. Located on the water in Newport Beach, American Legion is dedicated to supporting all military veterans in the Orange County region. Right now, they are offering drive-through food service 7 days a week, 12 p.m. – 6 p.m. Menu highlights include the cheese burger, chili and chicken and waffles. (There are also wine specials.) For an additional $9 you can donate a meal to a Veteran in need. Visit www.al921.com for more information.
- Lafayette Farmers Market: Described as, “Unemployed chefs trying to pay their bills while helping out the community in these trying times,” this pop-up farmers’ market in the Cannery parking lot happens Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Purchase fresh fish, pasta, produce and more at 3010 Lafayette Avenue, Newport Beach, Calif. Learn more on the official Instagram page: @lafayette_farmers_market
- Lido Bottle Works: Online ordering and curbside pickup Tuesday through Sunday, 12-8 p.m. This farm-to-table gem at Lido Marina Village (3408 Via Oporto, Ste. 103) offers fresh ingredients and even fresher preparations. Plus, skip the grocery line with Chef Amy Lebrun’s stay-at-home kits, including: Essentials Kit, Build-Your-Own-Pasta Kit, Vegetarian Kit and the Organic Farmer’s Market Produce Kit. Visit www.lidobottleworks.com or call (949) 529-2784 to oder.
- Malibu Farm @ Lido Marina Village: Malibu Farm is offering delivery and take-out 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily. View the menu of items available for order here. When you call, ask about the “food box” delivery. They will deliver food items with a recipe you can prepare! Get in touch: (949) 791-2096
- Newport Beach Farmers’ Market: Open every Sunday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. this market by the beach is a cornucopia of local produce and hand-crafted wares. Discover crunchy kale from Divine Harvest Family Farms and pick up cheese jalapeño bread from Bake Shack. Everything is fresh, everything is delicious. All stands practice social distancing and have hand sanitizers and wipes available upon purchase. Learn more at www.farmermark.com.
- Tidepooles: A local favorite with a local chef and restauranteur at the helm, Tidepooles is now offering free delivery to Newport Shores and West Newport. Visit their Instagram page for the most updated information – @tidepooles – and order the Brussels sprouts with your meal, you won’t regret it. Another insider tip: Salsa verde pizza.
- Vacancy Coffee: Open every day from 6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., this awesome little coffee shop at 6480 West Coast Highway in Newport Beach features fresh brews, pastries, cronuts (!!!) plus delicious breakfast burritos on the weekend. Vibey, fresh and 100% local, visit www.vacancycoffee.com for more information and stop by the shop for your caffeine fix. Signs on the floor designate social distancing waiting areas and there’s plenty of hand sanitizer to keep things clean.